• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there any songs that...

Such a great post everyone. I will check a lot of your song/groups.
Music is very special/different for me as well. If I am freaked out or moving to some version of a melt down, listening to a certain song can immediately change/improve my mental state--far more dramatically than breathing or stress management.
I visualize alot of imagery with all of my music.

I am AS version of audiophile--Due to my SPD issues. I am sensitive to negative auditory stimuli. Many high-end headphones are too sibilant for me. I am even very sensitive to headphones with too much clamping force. I have become a headphone expert and know all the models that are very good, but that do not stress me out.

My current favorite is a prog-rock band--Riverside. Their first 3 albums(particularly their first) is about a person's psychological journey. There is even one song(I believe, from album-Out Of Myself) that starts with a the lots of people having overlapping conversations with each other and you really can't distinguish any single person is actually saying--then it goes into the song. It is the best representation of how I feel at a party or a loud restaurant with the people at my own table people.

Favorite Aspie-expressive song?

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

I'm a big Simon and Garfunkel fan. I used to be a rock but then I got tired of it, felt too lonely and bored. Tried to become the "anti-rock" but failed at it miserably, thus regressing into my "rockdom".

Right now things have stabilized a bit and I've managed by some miracle to make a couple of friends. I'm still 75% rock though.

I'm a big Simon and Garfunkel fan. I used to be a rock but then I got tired of it, felt too lonely and bored. Tried to become the "anti-rock" but failed at it miserably, thus regressing into my "rockdom".

Right now things have stabilized a bit and I've managed by some miracle to make a couple of friends. I'm still 75% rock though.

One of the last twenty songs I sang on video was "Bridge Over Troubled Water." I like practice singing various songs I like. It's too bad their split as singers happened that way. Seems like a lot of anger by Paul at Art for past perceived indirect wrongs by him.

Live Theater, Live Music, Musicals, Country Music .... music is the sole of my identity.

My apartment is decorated with movie soundtracks, theater playbills and lots of favorite music, including oldies (70's) classics.

I have several wall decals, one of which reads, "Music isn't what I do, it's Who I am," and another that reads, "When you are happy, you enjoy the music; when you are sad, you understand the lyrics."

Most of my concerts end with autographs (which I collect from people I've met) and I am currently creating a graphic mural so I can display all my ticket stubs and memorabilia.

I also recently realized that many of my "favorite" singers have incredibly low voices, so as someone with Sensory Processing issues, it's apparently a draw.

My favorite LYRICS & Song (changed the way I lived): Randy Travis's "Point of Light"
Best deep voice: Josh Turner's "Long Black Train"
Best musicals/soundtracks: Jesus Christ Superstar (both versions), Tommy, Hair, My Fair Lady, Fiddler on the Roof, Reefer Madness (2005)

<-- Long Black Train
<-- Best Lyrics in the WHOLE WORLD

Music has always been a getaway for me. If there was a way to listen to music 24-7 and no other noise, I'd take it. As a parent, there is one particular song that hits me in the feels every time I hear it. It's an oldie but a goodie country song called 'What a Difference You Made in My Life' by Ronnie Milsap. My daughter was born exactly one year after my father's death and it means so much to me.

Lyrics:
What a difference you've made in my life.
What a difference you've made in my life
You're my sunshine day and night
Oh, what a difference you've made in my life.

What a change you have made in my heart
What a change you have made in my heart
You replaced all the broken parts
Oh, what a change you have made in my heart.

Love to me was just a word in a song that had been way overused
But now I've joined in the singin'
'Cause you've shown me love's true meanin'
That's why I want to spread the news.

You're my sunshine day and night
Oh, what a difference you've made in my life.

Cat Stevens
I built my house from barley rice
Green pepper walls and water ice
Tables of paper wood, windows of light
And everything emptying into white.

A simple garden, with acres of sky
A Brown-haired dogmouse
If one dropped by
Yellow Delanie would sleep well at night
With everything emptying into white.

A sad blue eyed drummer rehearses outside
A Black spider dancing on top of his eye
Red legged chicken stands ready to strike
And everything emptying into white.

I built my house from barley rice
Green pepper walls and water ice
And everything emptying into white

I would have to say.........probably I'm just a kid or welcome to my life by simple plan or superheroes by the script. Also nightmare by set it off sums up how I feel during a panic attack or meltdown.

Aspie trait question: Music all the time. I feel I need it to sleep, drive, work in the house and even if it isn't physically playing, yes, it's always playing in my head!
I've ask NTs about this and they say no, it isn't that way with them. I've only found one other and he played in a band.
Is this an Aspie trait?
I don't really feel like it's an Aspie-exclusive thing. I've known a lot of people, some of which are (presumably) neurotypical, who are very connected to music and feel like they couldn't function at all if they didn't have it. On TV shows and cartoons, it's sometimes shown as a stereotypical archetype of teenagers as a whole... which clearly isn't the case. Regarding whether or not it's a trait of people on the Spectrum, I'm really not positive one way or another. Maybe it is, or maybe it isn't; that would actually be something worth studying.

On another note, in my case, it isn't always music (though I prefer music over anything else). As long as there's some sort of background noise, I don't really mind. It could be the radio playing music nearby, or it could be the TV playing (it makes me feel less... alone) or something as simple as the white-noise from the air conditioner and/or fan(s) running or cars going up and down the road outside.

Sometimes, I like to have all of those at the same time. I don't know why, but complete and utter silence (whenever the power goes out and I can't run the aforementioned things) drives me up the walls.

I'm one of those guys who has to have meaning in everything that surrounds me...
Maybe its because much of my life had none.
Music like anything else, has to shake my soul to its core, or it just has no purpose to me...

warning if you have a heart its about to be ripped out

I don't really feel like it's an Aspie-exclusive thing. I've known a lot of people, some of which are (presumably) neurotypical, who are very connected to music and feel like they couldn't function at all if they didn't have it. On TV shows and cartoons, it's sometimes shown as a stereotypical archetype of teenagers as a whole... which clearly isn't the case. Regarding whether or not it's a trait of people on the Spectrum, I'm really not positive one way or another. Maybe it is, or maybe it isn't; that would actually be something worth studying.

On another note, in my case, it isn't always music (though I prefer music over anything else). As long as there's some sort of background noise, I don't really mind. It could be the radio playing music nearby, or it could be the TV playing (it makes me feel less... alone) or something as simple as the white-noise from the air conditioner and/or fan(s) running or cars going up and down the road outside.

Sometimes, I like to have all of those at the same time. I don't know why, but complete and utter silence (whenever the power goes out and I can't run the aforementioned things) drives me up the walls.

I love music... Its like a way for souls to communicate when words just aren't enough. I'm not much of a TV person at all, but music... Its a massive part of my LIFE. It has to be meaningful though and not just noise.
I like all types, but I cant really "name" what kind I like. It can be any kind if the message and the music line up and become something that stops and makes me listen. : )

Sorry don't have a specific song to contribute at present, there are just so, so many. Love the thread though

This is stuff I fall asleep too... it just has a way of making the day go away.
I have tons of this stuff and I just let it play all night

New Threads

Top Bottom