• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there any songs that...

Spotty01

...seem to define your personality, your life, what you've been going through lately, etc.? Except not all of those at once, unless there is one song that you feel defines all of those things at the same time. Or two songs, or a hundred songs if you want. No judging here. ;)

Music is practically my life.

If I'm writing, if I'm sitting/lying around doing something on my tablet, if I'm eating or drinking, if I'm sleeping, then you better believe I'll be listening to music while I'm doing it. Even when I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to music. While checking up on AC for any alerts and proceeding to skim through threads by other people, you guessed it, I was listening to music. And, while doing so, I was reading a thread (this one) and a song simultaneously came onto the radio. It seemed to accurately reflect how I felt while reading that post.

The song was called The Walk by Sawyer Brown, because I'd been in the same boat she's in once upon a time, but I eventually fought through it and now lead a gradually improving life. I usually don’t get myself involved with posts like that, for fear of making myself sound selfish or accidentally saying the wrong thing, but I actually wanted to post on there and say something to that effect, but my anxiety got the better of me and I didn’t.

That was what gave me the general idea for this thread. I would’ve posted this last night, but I’d already made a thread yesterday.

I have a lot of moments like the aforementioned one, but if there was a single song that I would use to define myself, like my life and personality in general, then it would have to be The Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. Hands down. On top of that, it’s somewhere in my top ten favourite songs and one of the very, very few modern songs that I’ll even give the time of day.

IMHO, most modern day music sucks. Hard. You can thank my parents for that mindset.

So, what about you guys? Any specific song or songs that you feel seems to define you/your life/your personality/anything to a tee (or at all)? Any moments you’ve had like the one I mentioned two paragraphs ago (about how the radio/music you’re listening to seemingly reflects your thoughts and feelings at that specific moment)?

That is all.

Last edited:
Favorite Aspie-expressive song?

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

Last edited:
I still haven't gotten around to making a post of my own!
But, this could merge two things into one here.
Songs that describe us. I agree with: I am a Rock, I am an Island- Paul Simon, as the one that sings my overall self. I've told some people that too.
Others could be Against the Wind- Bob Seger. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For- U2, Ordinary World- Duran Duran. And Mad World (theme from Donnie Darko).

Part II
Aspie trait question: Music all the time. I feel I need it to sleep, drive, work in the house and even if it isn't physically playing, yes, it's always playing in my head!
I've ask NTs about this and they say no, it isn't that way with them. I've only found one other and he played in a band.
Is this an Aspie trait?
We can answer our "Fit Me" songs and the question of music in the background of the mind all the time.

Hey, the one there now is "You don't know how it feels-to be me"- Tom Petty.

Last edited:
...seem to define your personality, your life, what you've been going through lately, etc.? Except not all of those at once, unless there is one song that you feel defines all of those things at the same time. Or two songs, or a hundred songs if you want. No judging here. ;)

If I'm writing, if I'm sitting/lying around doing something on my tablet, if I'm eating or drinking, if I'm sleeping, then you better believe I'll be listening to music while I'm doing it. Even when I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to music. While checking up on AC for any alerts and proceeding to skim through threads by other people, you guessed it, I was listening to music. And, while doing so, I was reading a thread (this one) and a song simultaneously came onto the radio. It seemed to accurately reflect how I felt while reading that post.

The song was called The Walk by Sawyer Brown, because I'd been in the same boat she was in once upon a time, but I eventually fought through it and now lead a gradually improving life. I usually don’t get myself involved with posts like that, for fear of making myself sound selfish or accidentally saying the wrong thing, but I actually wanted to post on there and say something to that effect, but my anxiety got the better of me and I didn’t.

That was what gave me the general idea for this thread. I would’ve posted this last night, but I’d already made a thread yesterday.

I have a lot of moments like the aforementioned one, but if there was a single song that I would use to define myself, like my life and personality in general, then it would have to be The Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. Hands down. On top of that, it’s somewhere in my top ten favourite songs and one of the very, very few modern songs that I’ll even give the time of day.

IMHO, most modern day music sucks. Hard. You can thank my parents for that mindset.

So, what about you guys? Any specific song or songs that you feel seems to define you/your life/your personality/anything to a tee (or at all)? Any moments you’ve had like the one I mentioned two paragraphs ago (about how the radio/music you’re listening to seemingly reflects your thoughts and feelings at that specific moment)?

That is all.

I liked mostly the mid 80s music, as those were the years where I transitioned from high school and life at home, to life on my own and college life.

Every time I listen to that music now it brings me back to the times where I felt totally free. This is different than being totally relaxed, as I faced the world alone then and had much stress. But, it was my stress, from my choices, and not parental-caused stress.

But, I did much self-help stuff then those years, too, and so that brings me closeness to that music too.

Maybe this is why I like inspirational music as well. I then got into liked Elvis' 60s or 70s inspirational or sentimental songs, like 'If I Could Dream, "The Wonder of You," and "Are You Lonesome Tonight?'" but some of his sad songs as well like "What Now My Love." I wanted to experience a mix of emotions there when listening to songs, but for whatever reason I do not gravitate to many happier songs, but inspirational, sentimental and solemn songs.

But, I am open minded to most music, but admit prefer 70s and 80s styles the best.

My life and the exceedingly hard time I'm going through right now.

This song is helping me through it.

ho-DQZOfQ6XLXPbuPwCYo2bx9tSC7oUbXS3nnU_vwPhOiveReygvmrzUHmjpVjtwOZpeQX692w=w720-c-h360-e100-rwu-v1

Get Better (Acoustic)
Frank Turner

LISTEN
Lyrics
I got me a shovel
And I'm digging a ditch
And I'm going to fight for this four square feet of land like a mean old son of a *****
I got me a future
I'm not stuck on the past
I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
I'm a machine and I was built to last

I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best
She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest
She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart
And said, come on now, let's fix this mess
We could get better
Because we're not dead yet

They threw me a whirlwind
And I spat back the sea
I took a battering but I've got thicker skin and the best people
I know looking out for me
So I'm taking the high road
My engines running high and fine
May I always see the road rising up to meet me
And my enemies defeated in the mirror behind

I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best
She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest
She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart,
And said: "Come on now, let's fix this mess"
We could get better

It's just a knot in the small of your back
You could work it out with your fingers
It's just a tune that got stuck in your head
It's just some numbers tangled up in your sums
It's just a simple braille mission from the person you miss
A reminder you could always be
A little bit better than this

So try and get better and don't ever accept less
Take a plain black marker and write this on your chest
Draw a line underneath all of this unhappiness
Come on now, let's fix this mess
We could get better
We could get better

damage ? radiohead .
then theres' i gotta be me' i think maybe frank sinatra ,heard it in the film 'the money pit '

damage ? radiohead .
then theres' i gotta be me' i think maybe frank sinatra ,heard it in the film 'the moneythe pit '
the singers name sammy Davis Jr
damage ? radiohead .
then theres' i gotta be me' i think maybe frank sinatra ,heard it in the film 'the money pit '

The song was called The Walk by Sawyer Brown, because I'd been in the same boat she was in once upon a time, but I eventually fought through it and now lead a gradually improving life. I usually don’t get myself involved with posts like that, for fear of making myself sound selfish or accidentally saying the wrong thing, but I actually wanted to post on there and say something to that effect, but my anxiety got the better of me and I didn’t.

That is all.

damage ? radiohead .
then theres' i gotta be me' i think maybe frank sinatra ,heard it in the film 'the moneythe pit '
the singers name sammy Davis Jr
if youve never read my answers before this is what my phone does i have no alternative

I was once asked this as a group icebreaker at my last workplace. I refused to answer! Because the real answer was "All Mixed up" by 311, and there was no way I would incriminate myself at work by admitting to that, lol!

Catch me if you can (Walking on Cars), One Day (Hunchback of Notradam), If I was you (Meghan Trainor), All About that Base (Meghan Trainor), My name is No (Meghan Trainor), Lala Land (Demi Lovato and Evil Like me (Descendents).

Weird mix I know ssome properly only make sense to me.

Catch me if you can (Walking on Cars), One Day (Hunchback of Notradam), If I was you (Meghan Trainor), All About that Base (Meghan Trainor), My name is No (Meghan Trainor), Lala Land (Demi Lovato and Evil Like me (Descendents).

I've never been able to understand the appeal of "All About That Bass". I mean, really, it's just the same three words repeated over and over again with little or no variation.

I don't mean to insensitive by insulting one of your favorite songs, but seriously, what is it that everybody likes so much about it? I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out. o_O

I've never been able to understand the appeal of "All About That Bass". I mean, really, it's just the same three words repeated over and over again with little or no variation.

I don't mean to insensitive by insulting one of your favorite songs, but seriously, what is it that everybody likes so much about it? I cannot, for the life of me, figure it out. o_O
I think it may be because it does have a catchy tune, but, for a lot of people it is a way of saying I'm OK with my looks. And I don't have to fit in with society diva ideas on what's cool. Plus the pun on words?

Music. <3 I find that listening to it is the only thing that keeps my mind quiet -- turn it up when I'm upset, turn it down when I'm focused. At times, it's even able to express what I can't when words elude me.

I already shared my pick-me-up in the daily song thread (that one reminds me to be strong during bad times). On good days, I can relate to this one best:

Summer Rain - Etro Anime

Walking alone takes some faith
Trees are gray light's a blue haze
Wind is pale cutting through the days

I'd rather be out in the summer rain
Getting soaked yeah I wouldn't complain
But I think too much and I'm left to blame
Feeling strangely the same
I'm drawing pictures around your name
Conversation slowly sketched away
With the words I could not say
Couldn't find anyway

Leave behind lonely lover's face
Now that the calm's been replaced
Road you take fills with heartbreak

All the love's in a state
That you can't touch hear or taste
And the grace just falls into place

And no one can cloud the sun when you live your way
I don't want to run and hide underneath the shade

I'd rather be out in the summer rain
Getting soaked yeah I wouldn't complain
But I think too much and I'm left to blame
Feeling strangely the same
I'm drawing pictures around your name
Conversation slowly sketched away
With the words I could not say
Couldn't find anyway

I'm sure there's an interpretation that relates the song to love, but for me it's about knowing you're on a different path and accepting its hardships wholly.

Then, there's Jaded by Aerosmith, which sounds to me like a song life dedicated to me. :rolleyes: I love the video for it too.

New Threads

Top Bottom