• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else love to lay on your tummy?

JuniperBug

Rainbow Bird of Friendliness
Laying on my tummy is my favorite position to be in. When I get home, the first thing I want to do is lay on my tummy on the bed for a few minutes before starting my evening routine. I also prefer to work on the computer on my tummy over sitting at a desk.
Comfortable-Office-889267.jpg

I even sleep sort of on my tummy in this "leap frog" position.
a52a8027b87d9d72751fbe8ba369e79b.jpg

I have no idea why I like it so much. Maybe this is something everyone does but doesn't talk about? I feel like it's very necessary to my day and if I spend to long sitting or standing I feel like I need to lay on my tummy for a bit as a sort of break. It's relaxing and immensely comfortable.

It struck me that it might be some kind of sensory or aspie thing so I thought I'd ask you guys and see if you had any similar experiences. Do you have favorite sitting/laying position that you go to for a "break"?

I sleep in the leap frog position. It's the most comfortable position. I also do that when feeling upset and I want to hide in my bed.
My theories are: a) it's how babies sleep. Maybe it reminds us a little of that. b) I have some mild digestion issues at night (if I've eaten too much or eaten the wrong thing), but lying on my stomach helps sooth that. c) it helps me keep still. When lying on my back I'm more likely to move around. I like to have my feet pressed up against something. But, on my stomach I can press my toes into the mattress and feel more grounded. d) it means I can keep my arms pinned under the pillow, because like with my legs it's hard to keep them still. But, if they're pinned under the pillow or wrapped around it, it feels much more relaxed.
These could just be my weird reasons though.

I am 71 and still prefer to sleep on my stomach. Years ago I was told by an orthopedic surgeon this position is the worst possible choice for back health and that I should sleep on my side. As a nurse I seldom saw a patient choose to sleep on his or her stomach and seeing the elderly sleep this way was very unusual. I usually start out in bed lying on my back and eventually, I flip to my stomach. As soon after I delivered my children I returned to sleeping on my stomach.

Due to a shoulder injury and nerve damage while I was in the USMC I can only sleep on my stomach with left arm straight at my side. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I have moved but the reason I woke is due to pain.

I recently bought a new awesome hybrid memory foam bed which is like I said, awesome. On good night's I sleep really good!

I sleep more deeply if I'm on my back, but I can't fall asleep on my back so I start out in the fetal position with a pillow inbetween my knees and then aim to end up on my back when I stir in the night. When on my back I have my right arm above my head and my left arm so my hand is on my belly.

images

My resting position when awake is sitting on the floor curled up hugging knees against my chest.... sometimes chin resting atop a knee. Sleeping, I curl up like -----> @

I dunno... I thought this was an autistic thing, but maybe it's just a me thing? D'oh!

I usually sleep in "the stick bug" position and I can only sleep on my tummy if I have my arm flat across my chest. Also, when I am in the stick but position, I sometimes rest my hands on my chest and it feels like I am in a coffin.

If I sleep on my tummy I feel like I am unable to breath.

My resting position when awake is sitting on the floor curled up hugging knees against my chest.... sometimes chin resting atop a knee. Sleeping, I curl up like -----> @

I dunno... I thought this was an autistic thing, but maybe it's just a me thing? D'oh!
That does sort of sound like an autistic thing though. I think I'd like to lay like that if I was thinner/more flexible.

I'm a leap-frog most of the time.
Do a static-cling with my spare pillow sometimes.
Hope that doesn't sound weird.

Laying on my tummy is my favorite position to be in. When I get home, the first thing I want to do is lay on my tummy on the bed for a few minutes before starting my evening routine. I also prefer to work on the computer on my tummy over sitting at a desk.
Comfortable-Office-889267.jpg

I even sleep sort of on my tummy in this "leap frog" position.
a52a8027b87d9d72751fbe8ba369e79b.jpg

I have no idea why I like it so much. Maybe this is something everyone does but doesn't talk about? I feel like it's very necessary to my day and if I spend to long sitting or standing I feel like I need to lay on my tummy for a bit as a sort of break. It's relaxing and immensely comfortable.

It struck me that it might be some kind of sensory or aspie thing so I thought I'd ask you guys and see if you had any similar experiences. Do you have favorite sitting/laying position that you go to for a "break"?
I sleep like "The Fetal Punch" :D

Oh! And sometimes or often... Very irritating when wake up at night... I curl my legs or twist them so my legs sleep.. and i wake up and can't feel my feets! When i touch my feet it feels like im touching someone else's leg! Hurts when trying to wake them.

I always sleep on one side or the other. According to my wife, I change positions during the night. A lot!

Someone put elbow on the back... Like a twist and head facing thowards wall, with tummy halfway on bed? A position i call "The twist"

Funny, I have the same ritual. I lay on my tummy after work for a little bit. I also do it to take a break from sitting and I sleep in the leap frog position. I never thought of as a need but maybe it is. Neat.

New Threads

Top Bottom