• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any forums or websites for nvld/nld?

VioletHaze_03

Nerdling (Fledgling nerd)
Since i couldn't find any active forum for people gifted with nvld, i came here. Since then, i have realized that my disorder may just be a different presentation of aspergers. However, i do feel a bit of a dilemma here. I feel like my opinions and stratagies for helping others aren't as valid because i'm not officially on the spectrum. Because of that, i feel like i do not have a valid reason for sharing my thoughts here, even though i face a very similar struggle. The problem is, this is the most active place i have found, and it is set up in a way that i feel comfortable speaking. The only networks i found for nvld were blog type websites, and a facebook page which hasn't been updated in 4 years. I have seen a few posts on other websites describing the lack of support. Does anyone know of any helpful websites or forums for nvld/nld?

This may be one you saw:
I Have Nonverbal Learning Disorder | Support Group with Personal Stories, Forums and Chat
"Nonverbal Learning Disorder anonymous support group with information on diagnosis, treatment, symptoms, along with personal stories and experiences with Nonverbal Learning Disorder."

Or these:
non-verbal learning disorder? : Learning Disorders - Psych forums
nonverbal learning disability - Social Anxiety Forum

These places have information that might lead to finding what you are
looking for.
www's
NLDline, NLD, Nonverbal learning disorder, nonverbal learning disability, nld, nvld, NVLD
The NVLD Project

VioletHaze, please feel very welcome here. :) Your ideas matter... YOU matter.
And i do feel very welcome, as this site has been almost therapuetic in reducing my social anxiety and many of the conversations i have here are much more successful then they would be in real life. However, there's almost the feel of "i'm not on the spectrum enough to call myself autistic, yet i'm still neurodiverse enough to understand and relate to people who are" is this a common thing for aspies? (feeling stuck in a space between nt and special needs and not fitting in with either) because i seem to hear that a lot from my friends on high functioning end of the spectrum.

However, there's almost the feel of "i'm not on the spectrum enough to call myself autistic, yet i'm still neurodiverse enough to understand and relate to people who are" is this a common thing for aspies?

I'm practically a hybrid, I do social stuff so well. Yet, I had not realized the process of intellectually doing so all the time was exhausting me and came close to ruining my health. Because I didn't realize until midlife, and only got diagnosed months ago.

We welcome people with or without an official diagnosis. If we can help, we want to.

And i do feel very welcome, as this site has been almost therapuetic in reducing my social anxiety and many of the conversations i have here are much more successful then they would be in real life. However, there's almost the feel of "i'm not on the spectrum enough to call myself autistic, yet i'm still neurodiverse enough to understand and relate to people who are" is this a common thing for aspies? (feeling stuck in a space between nt and special needs and not fitting in with either) because i seem to hear that a lot from my friends on high functioning end of the spectrum.
I can relate somewhat. I'm on the high functioning end of the spectrum as well, and sometimes that makes me feel like a fraud. I feel like both people on the spectrum and NT's think I'm calling myself an Aspie for attention or for perks, even though no one has actually said that to me. It's just me projecting my insecurities. And there's no reason for you to not feel welcome here, there are more people around that have not been officially diagnosed, are NT, or are depressed but just looking for a friendly community to share their issues with. IMHO if you can get support from these forums and offer some in return, I don't see why you shouldn't be here.

I'm practically a hybrid, I do social stuff so well. Yet, I had not realized the process of intellectually doing so all the time was exhausting me and came close to ruining my health.

Indeed. I'm grateful for finally understanding why even the best of social interactions can leave me with a tension headache at times. And to understand that success or failure isn't the point. It's social interaction period that remains arduous for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom