• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anxiety Disorder

BruceCM

I'm now officially 'suspected of having anxiety disorder'. Nice terminology, makes it sound like a crime! What's the sentence for that, then?

I'm now officially 'suspected of having anxiety disorder'. Nice terminology, makes it sound like a crime! What's the sentence for that, then?
I'm just curious, who's diagnosed you, a physician or a psychiatrist? I've been diagnosed with depression a couple of times and anxiety disorder a couple of times within the past 15 years. It was all complete nonsense. I was been given different types of antidepressants to manage both. (It's quite common to prescribe antidepressants to deal with anxiety.) No antidepressant had any effect on me whatsoever besides maybe side effects. Doctors seem to like giving that kind of diagnosis when they don't know what else they can do or don't want to do anything, especially if you're displaying certain common signs. I found out later that I had chronic migraines since I was a kid (at least now it was diagnosed as migraine). I think the only reason why I was diagnosed properly is because I developed "aura" symptoms a few years ago. Otherwise I didn't even had head aches all the time, it felt more like I'm in a fog, not quite myself. Before when I described my symptoms I was diagnosed with some psychosomatic disorder and a depression. Then what doctors thought was anxiety actually was my brain's inability to deal with certain type of sensory overload. In addition to that I had thyroid disease for 5 years or so. It also had a huge impact. I think diagnosis of anxiety disorder and depression is very obscure. Do you believe that you have it? If you don't you might want to research other possibilities and think what else it can be, is there another reason for the way you feel.

Apparently, it basically means anxious. The pills for it seem to be working, at least a little, so I suppose I have to accept the basic idea, at least.

I'm worried about starting college next month.
I failed my first year due to anxiety.

It's horrible. I can't even walk to the tanning salon to sign up.

AND I'm on Valium! So what the heck.

I have an Anxiety Disorder too. I am currently taking something called Avanza. I also think that doing vigorous exercise daily is one of the other things that helps me manage it a bit better. I have lots of ongoing stressful things in my family which I do find difficult to deal with. My husband had bowel cancer 7 years ago and has a regular colonoscopy this time each year which is coming up next week. My anxiety goes through the roof when it's coming up and to make matters worse my mother-in-law was just diagnosed with breast cancer. The worst thing for me is I have panic attacks and also experience sudden vertigo when I'm stressed or anxious.

I've been seeing a psychologist and she was trying to get me to practice Mindfulness but I can't seem to get into it. Has anyone else tried it? Does it get easier with practice?

I'm worried about starting college next month.
I failed my first year due to anxiety.

It's horrible. I can't even walk to the tanning salon to sign up.

AND I'm on Valium! So what the heck.

Im currently going to college for a construction management degree. Its really not bad at all. I rarely do homework or study but Im still (barely) passing all of my classes. And I meet some cool people up there. Is it the social part or the stress of classes that are a problem for you?

I've been seeing a psychologist and she was trying to get me to practice Mindfulness but I can't seem to get into it. Has anyone else tried it? Does it get easier with practice?

I practice it regularly. The 1st time I tried it at the age of 20, I believe, and couldn't quite grasp the concept. But the problem is you can't grasp it with your mind you have to feel, or sense it. Once I realized it I didn't have any issues any more. It might take years to make it work for you though. Another thing is, you have to be able to withdraw from your negative emotions and feelings, and more observe them rather than be influenced by them. But if you keep giving in to negative self talk the technique is not going to work. One more thing can be useful as well, "erasing" or stopping your thoughts. It's pretty difficult to perfect but it can be useful.
There's an exercise that can be pretty relaxing and stabilizing, I use it every day. If you a visual thinker, have high sensitivity and good imagination, you shouldn't have any problems with it. But even if you aren't you might want to try it and see if it works. Basically you have to imagine a white ball of energy (to be honest don't really have to imagine it if you can't, feeling even slightest sensation is quite enough) rolling inside your left arm from fingertips towards your shoulder then through your chest to the right shoulder, down to the right hand's fingers, up again towards your chest down towards the right foot, up again through your belly then down your left leg towards the foot, up towards your chest and back to the left hand. Repeat all that 10 times. In the end you can try to imagine that white energy sort of showers down on you and through you (even thought I don't always do the last part).
The key here is to try to concentrate on the sensations that you're getting, only then you'll get the results.

When I need to regroup quickly, let's say before going into a crowded space where I'm expected to be focused and participate in a conversation, I take a deep breath and imagine a thick beam of white light going down into the top on my head, though the center of my brain, and then into the base of my neck. It helps me focus. It doesn't last very long though but very helpful for me personally. Too bad I don't always have a chance to use it when I need it and it wouldn't work in all situations.

Hope you find those things useful :)

Last edited:
It's the social aspect. Being in rooms full of people. Speaking to people. I plan on joining 3 clubs because I have NO friends due to having moved from Louisiana to New York.
I've been mostly alone for about 4 years.

It's the social aspect. Being in rooms full of people. Speaking to people. I plan on joining 3 clubs because I have NO friends due to having moved from Louisiana to New York.
I've been mostly alone for about 4 years.

Hope it works out for you. It always sucks having to move and start over again from scratch.

Hope it works out for you. It always sucks having to move and start over again from scratch.

Think it does kinda depend on why you move though. I'm planning to move (just have to save up enough cash to do so) but to some extent I'll try to pickthe location to where I move somewhere where I at least know some people, either through forums, IM and whatnot. It's not that I would care to have those around 24/7 but more... just in case "getting to know myself" is getting out of hand.

However, we don't all have a big social group I guess... (neither do I, but I keep a decent selection around)

I moved due to meeting my current boyfriend on a Jewish dating site - very few Jews in Louisiana and I was the only one in town.
So now I live with he and his family.

Speaking of which, next week we'll be going to Israel where I'll be in one hotel room with 3+ other people. Eek.

Speaking of which, next week we'll be going to Israel where I'll be in one hotel room with 3+ other people. Eek.

Just curious; do you have a hard time sleeping around other people? Because thats one of my weirdest Aspie related things. Only person I could sleep in the same room with was my ex-fiance... after I had been with her for over a year haha.

Actually, I slept in the bed with my mother (rip) until I was nearly 15.
After that, I slept in the bed with numerous stuffed animals and my cat/rabbits.
Now, I sleep in the bed with my boyfriend.(Which we aren't actually allowed to be doing.) I hate sleeping alone.

However, if people are in the room who I don't know well or aren't used to sleeping with, I can't sleep. So this is going to be hell.
I'm going to have to explain that at times I'm going to put a pillow over my face and listen to my iPod so the sensory-stimuli doesn't drive me insane.

Guess I'll keep to this thread instead of opening a new one.

Anxiety attacks (or a disorder in general)... should it be something purely physical? I'm noticing that quite often I end up overthinking things... especially if I get mail where I need to do X cause of a change in laws or whatever, which will make me way more nervous than I should be, and as a result my mind stops from working "clear"... and that can last for well over a day. Yes, in a way, still it's physical, but I've read stories that are way more physical and not that much "mentally".

I always felt it's a way to cope with stress... rethink it, organise it, but at some point it starts grinding over and over because, in most of my experiences, bureaucracy is way to slow. I can't stop doing my things and sit on stand-by preparing for interview X for 2 weeks. Send me a letter, and I want it resolved the next day... it just doesn't work that way. Hence, it's also why I'm looking for a coach that might resolve those issues for me (or at least someone with whom I meet up, say.. once a month or so and look at my papers and all) cause that'll relieve some of the mental stress/anxiety I have going on most of the time

Guess I'll keep to this thread instead of opening a new one.

Anxiety attacks (or a disorder in general)... should it be something purely physical? I'm noticing that quite often I end up overthinking things... especially if I get mail where I need to do X cause of a change in laws or whatever, which will make me way more nervous than I should be, and as a result my mind stops from working "clear"... and that can last for well over a day. Yes, in a way, still it's physical, but I've read stories that are way more physical and not that much "mentally".

It's both mental and physical. Symptoms such as panic attacks, muscle tension, headaches, heart palpitations, inattention, etc are very physical. The mental part is the part about obsessing over things and racing thoughts that worsens the physical symptoms.

It's both mental and physical. Symptoms such as panic attacks, muscle tension, headaches, heart palpitations, inattention, etc are very physical. The mental part is the part about obsessing over things and racing thoughts that worsens the physical symptoms.

Yeah, that makes sense... I'm usually totally obsessed if stressed and end up not functioning for a day or so (and recently it's worse... stressed 24/7 until I get to the business I need to attend, waiting periods are a nightmare). So I rather make sure I don't get stressed that often. I don't have a lot of physical issues... apart from a bit of palpitations and a general feeling of nervousness. But mostly it's a mental thing with me.

I haven't been diagnosed with a disorder as such, but then again, in the last year or so, I didn't really run into a lot of stressful situations in general. I kinda kept cool and laid back because no one was on my back... but the one time here or there people get on my back it's a total mess and I end up talking incoherently for most part, having 0 interest, I eat even less regular and pretty much end up staring at a wall for hours... so srsly... I think it's good to make sure I don't get any anxiety triggers... and I kinda know what they are. And as such I'm looking to get support for that, to keep my mind on MY things, and not on any silly business I might have short term.

And that's why I haven't been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder... I wasn't under a lot of stress during my sessions and can keep those situations at bay pretty well, and kinda have all my life... but recently I'm encountering some situations that are way to stressfull and anxiety inducing I guess.

I've suffered from social anxiety since the age of 11 yrs old (now 43) and also depression. Have recently started taking Sertraline for both (started them 4 months ago) and the depression has been relived a lot, but the anxiety only mildly. I also take Diazepam when required.

I've suffered from social anxiety since the age of 11 yrs old (now 43) and also depression. Have recently started taking Sertraline for both (started them 4 months ago) and the depression has been relived a lot, but the anxiety only mildly. I also take Diazepam when required.

I take paroxetine (paxil 40mg) + clonazepam 0.5 mg 2X day + 30 mg adderall XR for ADHD. This combo helps but does not completely eliminate all symptoms.(I do not take the clonazepam every day but, like you, only when needed)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom