• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Age of Diagnosis

Out of curiosity, at what age were you diagnosed with autism or Asperger's? I was diagnosed rather late at least it seems late from what I've been told, at age 19, and this has created some difficulties in treatment, it was hard finding a doctor willing to test me, then even harder to find one to begin treatment as from what I hear it's usually diagnosed much earlier.

There were a number of factors responsible for my late diagnosis, most prominently a small grade school without the resources to address such an issue, did anybody else have an unusually late diagnosis?

In my last year of high school, when I was 16. So not that unusually late. It helped me a bit during college, and perhaps it could've helped me before, but I don't really think about the what ifs.

I first suspected at age 34, when I first learned of Aspergers. I self diagnosed, and confirmed with a professional diagnosis, at age 41.

I was diagnosed at age 62, I'm 69 now. It answered a lot of questions, but didn't really change my life after all those years. I believe that young people with AS should get the proper consoling so that they can learn to better deal with their weakness's and to better take advantage of their considerable strengths.

I was diagnosed at the age of 5. They didn't call it Asperger's Syndrome in 1980. They called it Mild Autistic Tendencies. If I was diagnosed today, the Dx would be Asperger's.

I was diagnosed at the age of 5. They didn't call it Asperger's Syndrome in 1980. They called it Mild Autistic Tendencies. If I was diagnosed today, the Dx would be Asperger's.

The DSM-V reclassified Asperger's Syndrome as "Autism Spectrum Disorder".

I was 4 when I got diagnosed. :)
Didn't know much about AS though until my second year of high school, when I found a book that explained it in great detail.
Really explained a lot as to why I had struggled so much with socialization and other things. If only I had gotten a book like that when I was younger. :p

I was diagnosed at 29. It took me quite a few years between getting that initial sense of recognition reading testimonies from other aspies to getting the actual diagnosis. Partly because so much of the info out there, as well as diagnostic centers and organizations, is aimed not at autistics, but at people who have to 'deal' with autistics. Which also explains much of the (temporary) frustration some of us feel towards these organizations and the medical/care industry as a whole.

Going over some of my teacher reports from kindergarten and the first year of middle school, I guess it could've been noticed a lot earlier. I faintly remember my parents turning down the advice of a speech therapy person who I had to see at school a few times regarding a stutter, who voiced the suspicion there might be more going on than just a stutter. They probably didn't want the interference, which would be in line with their blatant disregard of anything else teachers would say about me, be it good or bad. Well, apart from the bad sometimes. They just weren't ready to accept one of their children having something like ASD. They still aren't accepting btw, so not much has changed. (There is a difference between being accepting, and just being in denial. The first requiring effort to be made, interest to be shown, the second just being lazy, also that might sound a bit harsh.)

Taking into account the public opinion on and knowledge about autism back then, I also don't know if it would've made much of a difference, or that I would've been that much better off with having an early diagnosis. It's only been the last 10 years or so that these opinions have been moving towards a more positive attitude. And still, having an official diagnosis early on doesn't guarantee better treatment. Reading about the ways some parents deal with it, having their children go through disruptive 'therapies', I'd say sometimes it's better to stay under the radar until you have some modicum of self-determination. I hope those cases are getting rarer though. And having an early diagnosis, in combination with a proper environment of acceptance and support, at home, at school, does, in my opinion, make a huge difference later on, if only in terms of self-esteem, not having to feel weird or growing up with the notion that there's something wrong with you, or that you need to be changed somehow. Going over some of the more horrific stories about children being diagnosed young, and the way they are subsequently treated can cause me to cry out of despair, but at the same time, reading about how some of the parents here, and elsewhere, deal with it, giving that much needed support and acceptance, makes me cry with joy because I know those kids will be so much better off.

I first came across the word: aspergers, some 5 year or so ago, so in my late 30's, early 40's and I thought that I was reading about myself! It got stronger and although I have not be diagnosed by a therapist, I know someone who's son is an aspie, and she recognised me as one. Another worked with a male aspie and said that he recognised similar traits.

I got diagnosed this year, just after I turned 25.

I was sure my younger brother had it when he was just 8 or 9 but he didn't get diagnosed until he was 14.

I was diagnosed at 9 but I had a lot of symptoms show pretty early on in life. It just took several years to figure out what it was.

Out of curiosity, at what age were you diagnosed with autism or Asperger's? I was diagnosed rather late at least it seems late from what I've been told, at age 19, and this has created some difficulties in treatment, it was hard finding a doctor willing to test me, then even harder to find one to begin treatment as from what I hear it's usually diagnosed much earlier.

There were a number of factors responsible for my late diagnosis, most prominently a small grade school without the resources to address such an issue, did anybody else have an unusually late diagnosis?
When i was 7

I was diagnosed at the age of 41. When I was at school in the early 80s, I was having some quite serious issues at school, and the school wanted to put me in the slow learners' class as they called it, or even a special needs school. My parents got me a private remedial tutor and she told them that I had autistic traits. I was taken to my GP, but the GP said he didn't think I had autism because I could interact with him and look at him, and according to him, autistic people aren't able to do this. So the matter was dropped, and my behaviour was put down to difficult family circumstances.

I started suspecting AS was at the root of some of my social challenges and meltdowns around age 46. Being gay and androgynous complicated my self diagnosis because being non-conforming in other ways like that can also lead to social ostracization and not fitting in with groups. I was officially diagnosed this year at age 50. Having that diagnosis has clarified a lot of things for me, in terms of identity and personal understanding--and I hope I can translate that into improving some of my significant relationships. However, in the town I live in, all of the services to help aspies are for kids under 18. The only option I have for help is hiring a therapist, which I have done. There are no groups for adults. So, with the exception of AspieCentral, I have no network of people other than my therapist to help me deal with AS. I feel rather isolated as a result.

I was diagnosed at the age of 41. When I was at school in the early 80s, I was having some quite serious issues at school, and the school wanted to put me in the slow learners' class as they called it, or even a special needs school. My parents got me a private remedial tutor and she told them that I had autistic traits. I was taken to my GP, but the GP said he didn't think I had autism because I could interact with him and look at him, and according to him, autistic people aren't able to do this. So the matter was dropped, and my behaviour was put down to difficult family circumstances.

Very similar happened to me, but no hint of autism, just stupid and so, put into a school for moderate learning difficulties and guess because they didn't think there was any point in teaching stupid children, learned very little.

Very similar happened to me, but no hint of autism, just stupid and so, put into a school for moderate learning difficulties and guess because they didn't think there was any point in teaching stupid children, learned very little.

So little was known and understood then :(

My brother was put in a school for children with learning difficulties, though to my knowledge he hadn't been diagnosed with anything other than Tourettes. He probably doesn't have autism, but does have autistic traits.

In my case, my parents objected to my being put in special classes, because they were sure that I was intelligent, and thought that I just wasn't trying hard enough at school. They didn't let the school move me. Instead they hired the private remedial tutor so that I would catch up on maths, the one who suggested to them that my issues were due to autism. Neither the parents nor the GP could accept my having autism because I was intelligent. The GP told them I was acting up because of issues my family had. So my parents made me sit and do mental agility exercises or IQ tests every night for about 3 months afterwards. In the end I stayed in the school, passed my exams and got into university. I developed a special interest for German language and Germany and focused on that. But I had social difficulties, depression and never fit in at school.

Also, music kept me sane :)

I was diagnosed with Aspergers and Nonverbal Learning Disorder at the age of sixteen but to be honest, it wasn't properly explained to me until just a few years ago, when the attending at the psychiatric hospital I had been staying at looked through my files. It was then that I got referred to a therapist who specializes in AS. Weird how these things can take such odd turns.

New Threads

Top Bottom