• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A bit of luck ....

wanderer03

I finally have an end to the doldrums of being a security guard! Hooray! I got a call back from a trucking company, TransAm Trucking, to drive solo for them. At long last, I will be able to drive a truck over the road without having to share the tiny space with another man. I went to CDL A school and graduated in February but it's been hell getting my career launched due to the social and sensory difficulties associated with my form autism. I can drive the truck safely, I just couldn't handle the stress of constantly being evaluated by a trainer. That and just about everything he did got on my nerves.

I have a flight to Olathe, KS on July 7th. I love driving so I'm excited about being able to be out on my own. I gave my notice to my Security Guard employer. They were disappointed but only because the contract house would have to fill my position and thereby lose money. I could care less. Everyone on that site treated me like a stray, junkyard dog. Now I got the last laugh.

With this, I'm tabling my crowd funding project. I'd rather drive and take photos. This was such a good day!

Wonderful for you wanderer03

I get you very much! I have just set out, in learning to drive, but it appears I am a natural ( oh how I wish I had done this when I was younger). I have my 3rd lesson of 2hrs, tuesday, coming up and that will be all, for my instructor says that I am well able to practice on my own ( yeah). I think he detected that I would prefer to drive on my own and probably realised that I cannot do several things at the same time.

I love driving and cannot wait to get back behind the wheel :D

Good for you, Suzanne! We all have our own timetable ... You'll get there.

I love to drive as well, especially a big rig. I'm like a hog in heaven. I just hated having to spend several weeks straight in company training, living with a slob 24/7. It was more than my Autistic mind could bear.

So I ended up with enough combined hours from two companies to qualify to go solo. Life is a highway, I wanna ride it .....

Best of luck to you, Wanderer03. Life on the road is not without it's difficulties but, it is a fine life for a loner. My husband is a truck driver, has been for a long time - he is only 6 years away from retirement. He started out, as you did, going to CDL school and, then going out with a trainer.

He drove over the road for years, then his company offered him a dedicated route that brings hi home every night and gives him every weekend off. The company had never paid a driver salary before, they paid mileage, as most companies do but, my husband talked to the owner of the company (we are on very good terms with them and, they treat us both as if we were family.) He suggested that he be given a salary and, not revive layover pay, detention pay nor breakdown pay, or any bonuses. The owner agreed to his request for 1250.00 USD per week salary, every week, no matter if he drives that week or is on vacation. (he gets 2 weeks vacation per year.)

Yes, that is the epitome of the ideal truck driver job, and you won't get there overnight but, keep a clean driving record and, a good job performance record and, you will get there. Driving a truck can be lucrative career, and it does offer more solitude and freedom than most jobs but, it is long hours and hard work. Driving is a lot more than just sitting behind a steering wheel and pressing a few pedals with your feet.

I once made a list of everything a truck driver is aware of at all times while driving. There are 150 things you are aware of about the truck, yourself or, the road at all times. That is work.

Best of luck to you, Wanderer03. Life on the road is not without it's difficulties but, it is a fine life for a loner. My husband is a truck driver, has been for a long time - he is only 6 years away from retirement. He started out, as you did, going to CDL school and, then going out with a trainer.

He drove over the road for years, then his company offered him a dedicated route that brings hi home every night and gives him every weekend off. The company had never paid a driver salary before, they paid mileage, as most companies do but, my husband talked to the owner of the company (we are on very good terms with them and, they treat us both as if we were family.) He suggested that he be given a salary and, not revive layover pay, detention pay nor breakdown pay, or any bonuses. The owner agreed to his request for 1250.00 USD per week salary, every week, no matter if he drives that week or is on vacation. (he gets 2 weeks vacation per year.)

Yes, that is the epitome of the ideal truck driver job, and you won't get there overnight but, keep a clean driving record and, a good job performance record and, you will get there. Driving a truck can be lucrative career, and it does offer more solitude and freedom than most jobs but, it is long hours and hard work. Driving is a lot more than just sitting behind a steering wheel and pressing a few pedals with your feet.

I once made a list of everything a truck driver is aware of at all times while driving. There are 150 things you are aware of about the truck, yourself or, the road at all times. That is work.

Thanks Beverly, I know there will be difficulties and I expect to have a learning curve. Really, no job is without its difficulties and I came to the ultimate conclusion that I needed to find a career that fits my personality best. I do best at work when left alone. I think I might be able to satisfy social needs at the truck stop or being connected on here. I will gladly trade long hours for some autonomy. A professional driver is so much more than simply being a steering wheel holder. Sure, it has moments like on a lone highway with beautiful blue skies and mild temperatures that it you can just be a steering wheel holder.

Just have a long week ahead of me. LOL, I hope I'll get to see a Tornado while going through orientation in Olathe, KS.

Sure, it has moments like on a lone highway with beautiful blue skies and mild temperatures that it you can just be a steering wheel holder.

At least until the next four wheeler cuts you off or, slams on their brakes in front of you. :)

Dash cameras are our friends! Nothing is funnier when the perpetrator is called out on that. I love it when the investigator warns, "Are you absolutely certain that you want to proceed with this course of action? We have you on video. " All of a sudden, the guy drops the issue.

Congratulations! You've really shown purpose and dedication in getting where you wanted to be. I shall look forward to following your new life :)

I'll do the best that I can to keep people entertained. Since I'm Jewish and make fun of my heritage all of the time, I'm calling myself the Hebrew Hauler. Lol

I'll do the best that I can to keep people entertained. Since I'm Jewish and make fun of my heritage all of the time, I'm calling myself the Hebrew Hauler. Lol

I can imagine the jokes and reactions that would get on the CB. Does Border Patrol now need checkpoints for human cargo coming out of New Jersey and New York too? LOL (They have such check points near the Mexican border.)

New Threads

Top Bottom