• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

4 Hour Melt-Down/Crying Fit

for me specifically its teaching from the new testament about making g~d first the ten commandments teach about idolatry not thinking so much about money or things that you make them a god ie objects of worship IM not saying you have to agree with what i believe
its a very strong yet gentle message that reminds that earthly things are not permanent they change and g~d never changes
IM still not perfectly obedient but thats where love comes in
Wow. So I'm not alone. Thank you for sharing.

I hope this is not too personal, but I'm 29 years old, and I was repeatedly, and violently, sexually violated by 11 men, several times each week, from the age of 6 1/2 until I moved away at age 10.

As you can guess, that left an imprint on me that I struggle with even today. The simplest example: even with medication and years of therapy, I still cannot be alone in a room with a man. Not one doctor, not one family member, not a stranger, my boss at work, no one. Trust me, the door closes and I freak out.

My point is, obviously that affects me, but there are also things in my life, that were nothing compared to that, and they affect me just as equally. Simple statements made from people in anger, something breaking, someone lying about something simple.

I'm wondering if it is an ASPIE thing for all these little things to affect me for the rest of my life. And how have you covered with the things that it happened to you? Have you ever figured out a way to make them less detrimental and not on your mind as much?

Oh no...Nicole, I'm so sorry to hear that...I get upset when someone even just gives my favorite books a dog ear or a crease on the spine so I can't imagine how it feels like to lose one completely. I know that you've spent a lot of time to hunt down those pieces and each one is precious. :( That was horrible for sure.

Finding comfort in material things isn't silly, as it's constant and it's something that's all our own. I hope you find something to spark your inspiration again...it's you who makes a collection special, not the other way around.

I'm sorry. A loss of treasured things that have a special place in your life and your heart is a big loss.

I think your loss is like any other big loss in that the grief just needs to happen, and it will probably take time for your heart to heal and for the pain to become less unbearable.

[Edited to add this:]
Would it help to do some kind of memorial something for your collection, or something to honor the memory of your collection? It could be anything at all. If it were me, I might keep the pieces and use them in some kind of art or go out and get a baby plant and put some of the pieces at the bottom as drainage stones (I would be comforted by my treasured objects sustaining new life). Or maybe I'd put pictures of the collection somewhere special -- in a book of treasured photos or in frames on display.

I don't mean to suggest that you can simply replace what you've lost (if you are like me then you can't, even if you could find an exact copy of each object), but do you think you might ever start a new collection of the same sorts of things (or other things you discover)? Maybe that's not something you can think about right now, but I hope some day a new collection with new items will be able to bring you as much joy and peace/comfort as your old one did.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom