• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

3D movies

pacman

What is everyone's opinion of the newer movies coming out in 3D? Does the 3D provide anything substantial or could the film be fine in 2D with no non-trivial differences? Is it worth the extra cash for a ticket or is it a lame gimmick?

Personally, I think that the new 3D films are overrated and not worth the extra money since they are mostly filmed in 2D and the 3D effects seem relatively minimal. I'm basing this opinion on Clash of the Titans (not terrible), Star Trek: Into Darkness (I liked it), and Man of Steel (ehhhh). Avatar was good 3D and I've see some decent IMAX films back in the day, but it seems like nobody is making films like those any more.

It is hard to say. Generally, I do not do 3D, as I find the picture too dark and more often than not I get a headache. I remember seeing Coraline in 3D and liked it, but having seen it again on DVD, I do not think 3D adds a whole lot to it...certainly not enough to justify the headache and the steeper price tag.

I avoid 3d like the plague.

I haven't seen any movie in 3d, and with how it's currently going, this means that I'm going less to the cinema. The few movies I want to see, they only show in 3d here now and neither my girlfriend nor I are really interested in 3d. I've tried this entire 3d thing at a tv store and the glasses annoyed me and for some reason I can't really get it as 1 image anyway. I don't know what it is... to me the images look like they're flickering. Maybe I'd need 3d with a higher refresh rate or something. And while movie theatres might have a better system to display it, I'm not going to take any chances since I've had a lot of negative experiences with 3d (that 3DS by Nintendo pretty much gave me the same issue as those 3d tv's). I'm not going to spend extra for 3d glasses and eventually not enjoy it because I'm getting a headache from watching it. Besides; I didn't really think those 3d glasses for those 3d tv's were that comfortable, I can't really imagine they are much better at a cinema. Those glasses look way to wonky and I feel are a bit of "throw away"-quality.

So, I don't care for 3d, and I believe there should be 2d and 3d showings of movies and not have this 3d shoved down my throat. I've heard people use the argument "I'm going to the cinemas a lot more now, those 3d movies are great fun. I can't get that if I download them through some torrent". Well, I'm pretty much the opposite. As long as there's no decent 2d showing a new movie I want to see (the new Star trek would be one) I'll hold off until I find a decent rip online.

It really seems as if most new 3D movies are filmed in 2D. The 3D is mostly computerized special effects.

I think for 3D to look really good, you need to see it on an IMAX screen (I don't have one in my town though, I think the nearest one is a 5-6 hour drive away). I once saw a 3D movie about the Hubble Space telescope in a real IMAX theater (I think that when some places say they have IMAX screens, it's not actually true), and it was pretty impressive. I don't think I'll be entirely on board with 3D though until a process is invented where you don't need the glasses since one of the problems with the glasses is that they make the picture darker.

I've seen a few 3D movies on regular-size movie screens, I thought Coraline, Hugo, The Life of Pi looked pretty nice in 3D (I think if a movie is shot in 3D rather than converted afterwards, it makes a difference), but mostly it's something I can kind of take or leave. When I see Pacific Rim next weekend, I'll probably just see it in good old 2D.

3D films make me nauseous and make my head go fuzzy and end up feeling ill even hours after the film has finished :(

I have seen two 3D movies. The first one was animation, How To Train Your Dragon, back in 2010, which was deliberately done to 3D, great effect of depth. The second was a 3D HFR in 2012. Yeah, Hobbit. I'd like to see ordinary HFR, ordinary 3D and 3D HFR in real time comparison all next to each other. HFR was great for most of the time, but in fast shots frames just seemed to shatter making it difficult to even follow what was going on. In both cases I liked 3D surprisingly much, but other than those I avoid paying too much for flat experience. Ordinary movies are expensive enough imho.
Also, those glasses aren't nice with my own glasses already on. I'm still curious to try any new tech they might soon have.

3D should only be used as a novelty. The common reason for it is that it helps put the viewer into the world of the movie, but the fact is that good writing/directing is the only reason for that. If the writing/direction is bad, then the greatest 3D effects in the world won't help it, and if the writing/direction is good then you'll have no trouble being sucked into that world in 2D. 3D may make for a fun experience if it's done well but it deserves no part in mainstream cinema and is only used so much because it makes piracy harder and bumps the ticket price up.

I'm still contemplating on getting a 3d tv/blu ray though, not to get a richer viewing experience but because (as I said) I think it'd be fun seeing things fly out of the screen in some of my favourite films. But I'm not sure how well the 2D to 3D conversion works, so it might not be worth it.

Last edited:
But I'm not sure how well the 2D to 3D conversion works, so it might not be worth it.

Well, if the show/movie was originally filmed in 2D, there really isn't that much that can be done to have significant 3D effects. You might have some special effects, but that's about it.

It's a lame gimmick, and I think too many movies take advantage of it. I did see Avatar in 3D and it was actually pretty good. I think some movies are intended to be 3D, while others just do it for the money. There are just too many that take advantage of it, I don't go see movies a lot anymore. Movie theaters give me headaches, and the 3D is usually a waste of money in my opinion. There are a few exceptions, but as a whole... yeah.

As an update, I recently bought a 3D TV/Blu-ray and it is pretty fun. I've watched Dredd 3D, Megamind, The Hobbit and tested out Green Lantern and Prometheus.

I'm not normally a big 3D person, but sometimes it can bring a little something extra to a movie, like with Hugo or Gravity. I saw the second Hobbit movie in 48 fps 3D on a standard sized screen, I thought it looked better than 3D usually does, at first, the effect is a little jarring and it looks like the picture is running too fast (it even had a slightly video gamey feel in places), but once you adjust to it, I think it improves the 3D effect and fixes a few of the flaws with most 3D movies, like blurring when the camera pans. I didn't get a chance to see the first Hobbit in 48 fps, I heard a lot of complaints about it. Apparently, it was tweaked a bit for the second movie and the general consensus seems to be that it's better now.

Last edited:
I can't see 3D. I have a lazy eye (It's not like the stereotypical representations of it. You can't really tell unless I'm tired. Disclaimer aside). I've always wondered why 3d didn't seem different to me. Finally figured it out. So, in my case, it's a waste of money :p

I have a lazy eye and it works? I guess the technology just can't be done to suit everyone.

I just find 3D to be a distraction altogether. I want to be focused on a good story. Not a good effect.

I am legally blind and have no depth perception 3D does not work for me and gives me a migraine and makes me want to throw up often. I have looked up to see if there is a way to fix that and there isn't. I will never be able to see 3D. We tried with Avatar and it was horrible. The glasses never work for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom