• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your favourite dog breed?

German Shorthair Pointer

German_Shorthaired_Pointer_face.jpg

i'll have to go with......mixed breed. my companion animal of the canine variety is louie. he is my only friend. he is my only family. he's lived with me for 11 years now. i took a cheek swab and had his dna tested and he's many different breeds. the dominant gene is for bassett hound with a tiny bit of chow thrown in. about 50% is called mix breed because there's not enough of a single breed for a good marker. so he's probably 10 different breeds. he's about 15 now and is hanging in there. his first 5 years or so were pretty terrible and i made it my job to make certain the rest of his life would make up for the time before he came to live with me.

i could probably not have a 'pure' bred dog. i've worked in animal rescue long enough to have cleaned out several puppy mills and it is hard on your soul to be confronted with the evil that humans think is ok. there is only one way to stop these places and that is for the profit to stop. that can only be accomplished by humans refusing to buy rather to rescue. most people think that backyard breeders are ok to buy from but the reality that many of these places get dogs from mills and share the profit.

a safe way to get a german shorthair pointer or german shepherd or a doberman is to adopt from a rescue group. you would be stunned at the number of purebred dogs that are available at your local animal shelter. when breeders cannot sell the dogs they want to get rid of they can kill them or turn them into a shelter. where i live, labs are the favorite dog at the moment. dozens of ads of 'for sale' dogs in our local newspaper. the local shelters are swamped with all colors. some are put down at the shelters due to over-crowding. the breeders do not care, they go right on trying to make a few hundred dollars.

sorry if i seem preachy, it's my passion that drives me.

Obviously only a Yorkshire Terrier, look a this little angel:

angel.jpg

Fearless, it just jumped up to bite the Danes nose. You can see the pony getting its head out of the way (was to high anyway):

nofear.jpg

I like basenjis, but mostly because they are the kind of dog my family has. Originally, we got them because my stepfather had hyperacusis (loud noises made his ears hurt) and they can't bark. But now, even after my stepfather's condition has been cured, we still like them. They are smart and wily, and independent.

basenji.jpg

to google.....yes, many breeders care about the standards. i couldn't care less about the standards. i have seen what happens to the dogs that do not meet the standards. i'm for animal rights so i really shouldn't be writing anything here. no way i could ever come to terms with breeders that try to meet the standard. i'm for dogs, not what dogs can do for humans. no way for you to understand unless you've been in the trenches. i'll go away now.

In general like cats more than I like dogs, I've never actually owned a dog before, but Siberian Huskies do fascinate me. They are very beautiful dogs and they seem to have quite a bit of character.

My dog is a rescue. A mix of Lab and pointer. We got him as a puppy and the first two years were hell. He's 8 now and such a good dog. I think my favorite breed would also be pointer. I have decided that the next dog I get will be an adult dog, I can't do that puppy stuff again. I may also get a smaller dog like a beagle, we had them when I was a kid.

Does this count?

HotDogMustard.jpg

. . . kidding (obviously).

I honestly know nothing about dogs as I've never owned one before. I should maybe start researching them as I wouldn't mind owning one someday.

labrador-puppy.jpg

Labradors are about the most cutest breed that I have come across.

I had a dog that was a half labrador and a half staff and she was adorable.

I'm more of a cat person but I like Siberian huskies and Irish setters. My aunt had a team of huskies that looked just like the dogs in the movie "Eight Below." I cried and cried when I saw that movie, because all I could think of were her dogs.

Irish setters, ever since I read "Big Red" and "Irish Red" as a kid, I've liked Irish setters. You don't see a lot of them around here.

Golden Retriever. It is nice to know that your dog isn't going to chew some kid's arm off if it is having a bad day.

golden_retriever_02a.jpg

My first dog was a labrador. He used to eat macho dogs or breakfast, then give burglars a friendly lick if they jumped over our fence.

I've owned a couple of pit bulls. A really awesome breed. This dog can do anything. A truly loving creature too. Not this monster the media tried to create. Besides, they look you in the eyes and you can feel the mutual respect, unlike labs that seem to always have a goofy smile on their faces.

Besides pit bulls, I love the Dogue de Bordeaux.

I have a Coker Spannuals but I mostly dont have a favorote breed of dogs but I do like medum size dogs do small dogs. I not a big fan of big dogs

Golden Retriever. It is nice to know that your dog isn't going to chew some kid's arm off if it is having a bad day.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...gs-father-slept-room-police-article-1.1065711
http://retrieverman.net/2012/04/25/golden-retriever-mix-kills-baby-in-south-carolina/
http://www.nbc12.com/story/21752552/chesterfield-woman-hospitalized-after-golden-retriever-attack
I'm not saying it's the norm, just that it can happen.
1)A dog's behavior can't be predicted on the basis of breed alone.
2) Dogs, as a species, are predators. Small children and babies can awaken this predator instinct in dogs. It's not a breed thing, it's a species thing.

Yeah the smaller one. :D

But its probably because it was my first dog (and second, and third, and fourth...

If we had got something else, something else would probably be my favorite.

However, if any mad scientist ever tries to breed large Chihuahuas, put them down. The scientist I mean, cause those creations will take your arm off. ;) But they are fine small cause you can just scoop 'em up if they go mental on you.

New Threads

Top Bottom